Wednesday, July 27, 2005

That's my SONG!

I watch copious amounts of TV. I know that's not something to be proud of, but I'm going somewhere with this, I swear.

I grew up in a house with six people in it. I'm used to the rattle and hum of people moving around a house, having conversations, listening to the radio, watching tv . . . this is my white noise.

So, sometimes when I'm in my apartment alone I turn on the tv. It's usually on pretty low and I'll go about my business. Whether it's cooking, getting undressed or reading a book. Right, I read with the tv on. I know that I could turn on the radio, but something about the flickering light soothes me. It makes me feel like I have company.

But, that's not to say that I don't watch the damn thing. I get sucked in by MTV and VH1's reality programming.

Ya'll, for the last week I've been counting the days until the premier of Laguna Beach. What is wrong with me? I've been curious as to what happened with Stephen and LC in San Francisco, I want to know if Kristin cheated on Stephen and who in the hell is this new girl? Although I don't much like Kristin I too think that "from her hair to her personality, she's fake." It's all so high school, but I love it.

The Surreal Life - Janice Dickinson. Yeah, pretty much the only reason I'm watching this season. She's brash, she's rude, she's crazy . . . she's awesome.

The Real World - I started watching this when it first aired. Now the kids are in Austin and I'm wondering, are the participants getting less attractive as this show goes on or is my taste improving?

But, one of my favorite shows has been Motor Mouth. Essentially, Motor Mouth is based on the premise of a loved one tricking another loved one into test driving a vehicle that is set up with a camera. That loved one that is tricked is notorious for singing and dancing to whatever is playing on the radio. So, you have all this footage of someone singing badly to whatever songs are playing. I don't necessarily sit through an entire show because it gets kind of boring, but it cracks me up because I could so easily be the person in the driver's seat.

See, I travel the state a lot for work and that gives me enormous blocks of time in rental vehicles. I'm usually alone so I crank up the stereo and go to town. Yesterday, I was on my way home from a trip and Adina Howard's "Freak Like Me" came on. So, I holla, "Oooooh, that's my SONG!" So, there I am in my rental wearing my pinstripe skirt, button down blouse and pearls, raising the roof and singing:

I'm packing all the flavor you need
I got you shook up on your knees
'cause it's all about the dog in me

But, it doesn't just stop at the singing. I usually dance, too. Energetic finger pointing, neck crooking, pimp hands . . . if it can be done sitting down, I'm doing it.

I flip out when I catch a good 80's station because it's on! Every Rose Has It's Thorn, Never Say Good-Bye, anything by Journey. . . the cheesier the power ballad the better!

So, the next time you're traveling Alabama's highways pay no heed to the crazy woman in the rental car having her own little rave.