Tuesday, December 27, 2005

The Announcement

Here's how it went down:

First, S told his parents first thing on Christmas Eve. We waited until then because on the 23rd we were attending his sister's surprise party and we didn't want the engagement to take away any of the attention from her.

They were very pleased and his father told him that he had made a very wise choice. His mother grabbed my face and welcomed me into their family and gushed on about how much she liked me. I was extremely flattered.

Then, we went to my parents' house on the morning of Christmas Eve. My mom and dad's place is wreck right now. It flooded during Katrina so their are exposed studs up to chest high and it looks like the place was robbed. But, this is where they were because mom was cooking on her gas stove (one of the few appliances that survived) as she does not "trust" the electric stove at my brother's apartment (where they have been staying post-Katrina).

My mom brought a dining chair into the living room for S to sit on (I was on the arm of the moldy sofa and dad was on the recliner) and S asked to her take a seat. Mom, not knowing what is going on, says, "No, I can't sit I don't really have the time . . .

S, "Oh, you'll want to sit down for this."

By the way, the entire time, my dad is reading the Sports section of the Times Picayune and only now does he realize, "Hmm, I may want to pay attention, too," and sets it down.

S' speech: Mr. and Mrs. M, I wanted to tell you that I love your daughter . . .

Dad, "We love her, too . . . "

S, "And, that I plan to be around for a very long time."

Dad, "Good . . . "

S, "She is an amazing woman, you did a wonderful job raising her and I'd love to become a part of this family, if you'll have me."

Dad, "Wow, thanks . . . sure, sure."

S, "And, I'd like to ask your permission to marry her."

(At which point he presented the ring.)

Dad, "Yes, yes, of course . . . you can have her."

I was misty eyed and laughing at dad's reaction and S turned to me and said, "If you'll have me . . . will you marry me?"

I said yes, mom was teary eyed, I was teary eyed . . .

Dad, "You could not have given me a better Christmas present."

It was quite nice. Mom told S that, not because I'm her daughter or anything, "But, Melissa is a good woman and you are lucky to have her."

Then she turned to me and said, "You are a very lucky woman to have such love."

After my Aunt V found out, this is what she told S, "I am so happy for you. I knew that when you moved to AL for her, this was good. This was good, strong love."

We celebrated Christmas Eve all evening long: first with his family and then with mine. Many champagne toasts were made.

So many toasts, that at one point at S' family's house the conversation turned to misplaced rings and lost items and his mother's voice rang above everyone else's:

"One more glass of these, and I'll tell you about something else I lost once."

I know I make her sound like a booze hound there, but she's not. Mrs. B is a really cool lady and the B's in general are a warm, welcoming family. Not only did they raise an amazing man, but they welcomed me with open arms.

I'm a very lucky, lucky girl.

Check back later to see if I've posted the Flickr link to our Christmas photos. Guess who got themselves one of them new fangled digital cameras for Christmas?

No comments: