Thursday, December 01, 2005

Let's Get Ready to Ruuuuuumble!

A few months ago I got into a fight with a friend. Of course, it all started out via email.

Email is a dangerous thing when you are having an argument because there's no tone. It's all inferred. These here internets have been around for some time now and I'm sure other bloggers have covered the dangers of arguing via email much better than I could.

Anyway, my final email wrapped up something like this:

"I've HAD IT. I am THROUGH with you."

The particulars of our fight aren't really important except for one thing: Don't fuck with my family.

My loyalty to them, no matter how misguided sometimes, is unflagging.

Anyway, removing this person from my life was as easy as deleting their phone number from my cell phone. This isn't something that I'm proud of, but it's something that I've done only under extreme cases of betrayal.

And, I'm good at it.

It's not about hate. It's about realizing that clearly this person is not a positive influence in my life so it is better for me if we are no longer friends.

The funny thing is, since I've stopped talking to this person I've realized that I don't really miss him. The only times I am really aware that he is no longer in my life are when I think of something really funny and bitchy to say. He's the only person that will cackle along with me no matter how cutting my comment.

That's also when I realize, "DAMN! I'm bitchy."

It's been quite humbling to realize I am . . . mean.

That's also why I appreciate having S in my life.

Whenever I start to get really bitch, angry or impatient, he's the living angel on my shoulder that always helps me see the other side of a situation. He doesn't indulge my bitchy nature and that's just one of the many little ways in which I realize how good this man is for me.

I've since seen the guy that I had the huge fight with and it wasn't uncomfortable. He was familiar and it was easy falling back into our pattern, but the truth is . . . I don't miss him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One day, I was working on her car when I smacked my hand and got angry. I started to swear and fuss. She just walked away. When I calmed down, as if on cue, she returned and continued to help me. Anyone that can effectively help manage your temper is a keeper!!! Trust me!