Friday, October 14, 2011

Soul Mates

I was having a discussion about soul mates with a girlfriend of mine. She raised an interesting point: if everyone has a soul mate, then what happens if you marry the wrong person? Have you thrown the soul mate theory off of its axis by marrying someone else's soul mate. If that's the case, she said, then this soul mate business is crap.

I don't believe in soul mates. I think that in your lifetime there will be a handful of people with whom you are sufficiently compatible with to spend the rest of your life. You're lucky if you meet one of them. Maybe that person is taken away from you (divorce, life, death, who knows), well you're super lucky if you meet someone else with whom you feel you can spend the rest of your life.

This idea of one person for everyone? I just don't buy it.

There is a phrase that was popular years ago: there is a lid for every pot. However, I happen to have a couple of lids in my kitchen that fit several different pots quite nicely.

So, there you go.

No comments: