Friday, February 04, 2005

History

Clearly, at this age we all have a little history and the baggage that comes with it.

This has been on my mind today because when S moved in he brought a lot of stuff. Not just clothes and such, but a huge bag of pictures.

I'd told him earlier in the week that I wanted to look at them sometime. His response,

"Go to town, baby."

So, last night after he left for work I pulled out a plastic bin (like the kind you're supposed to store shoes neatly in - HA!) and started going through his pictures.

I don't know the chronology on any of them, but I figured organizing them by size was better than them sitting in a plastic grocery bag.

It took me a few hours to go through them all and in the process I found pictures of one S's exes. THE ex.

We all have one, you know, the one that broke your heart into a million billion bits and then walked all over them on his or her way out the door.

And, it made me sad.

Sad because I know he loved her and it kills me that someone would take S's heart and break it into a million billion bits.

I was looking at pictures of the two of them, candids of her, thinking, "I wish S wouldn't have been so beaten down by that relationship. I really wish things would have been better for them."

Then I realized, "Fuck that!"

I wish his heart hadn't been broken just as much as I wish my heart had never been broken, but then who would we be today?

Would we even be together?

All the bad exes, the cheaters, the liars, the schemers . . . they have all led us to where we are today.

Sometimes I look at S and think, "Mayn, am I a lucky girl," and I think sometimes I see that reflected in his eyes (except for him thinking he's a lucky girl and all) and I realize we deserve each other.

For all the bullshit we have been through with our exes we are finally cashing in on our kharma.

Do I expect him to throw out the pictures?

Nah, all of that is part of his past.

I'm his present.

And, hopefully, his future.

1 comment:

Jess said...

Hi trixie -
I just wanted to post a little note so you know that i'm reading your blog and feeling right there with you about so much. History in a relationship is a funny thing. It is vital to who we are and how we got where we got, but it is, ultimately, past. My sweetie never really kept photos at all. Of anything, let alone exes. And I am the sort of person who has all my photos all neatly arranged in books (I am photographer, I can't help it). I am hugely curious about what his past looked like and he has nothing to show me. And this doesn't upset him or make him sad. For him, it was what it was and now it is over. Why cling? I both envy and resent him for that attitude.
Anywho, just thought I'd say hi and that I like reading what you have to say...
-jessie