Thursday, February 03, 2005

Intuition

S works nights.

So, at around 6:30 a.m. he crawls into bed with me and I snuggle with him for about 30 minutes.

There is no better alarm clock ever invented.

This morning though, something felt . . . off.

I was laying on my right side and he curled up behind me and wrapped his arm around my waist.

I was groggy, but I stretched my left arm back and put it on his left thigh.

"Relax, " I whispered, "Your body feels really tense."

Normally, when he spoons me his body instantly relaxes. As if the second we make contact everything just goes away.

I dozed for another 30 minutes and when I rolled over to look at him he was on his back . . . eyes wide open.

I immediately asked, "What's wrong?"

And he preceeded to tell me what exactly was wrong.

I won't go into any detail regarding what was wrong because it's personal. Let's just say it has nothing to do with the two of us.

After he told me everything, he turned to me and asked, "How'd you know?"

Me, "Know what?"

Him, "That something was wrong?"

Me, "I don't know. Usually when you lay in bed you're out in two seconds. You never just lie there awake like I do."

Him, "No, you knew something was wrong before that. The second I touched you, you knew."

Me, "Oh, well you just felt different somehow. Usually when you curl up next to me you just sort of, I don't know, melt, sink in to me even."

Him, "Huh?"

Me, "Do you feel better having talked to me?"

Him, "Yeah, thank you."

Me, "No problem. Any time you've got something like this talk to me, okay?"

Pretty soon we were talking about ways to solve his problem and I said something silly and he was laughing. He shook his head, looked at me and said,

"I can't believe I'm even smiling."

Me, "I'm glad."

Him, "Thank you."

Thinking back on it, I don't really know what it was that lead me to believe something was up.

Yeah, we've been seeing each other for 10 months, but we haven't even lived together for a week yet.

Is it possible that I know him that well?

Was it intuition?

Whatever it was I'm just glad I didn't ignore it.

No comments: