Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Lez Be Friends

Oooh, this is my 100th post. I'll wait while you roll out the big cake with all the candles and start my clip show.

Anyway, my brother has gotten me into watching The L Word. I've never watched this show before because I didn't used to have Showtime. I'm really cheap so I just didn't go for any of the movie channels, but then I moved and the cable company didn't catch on to the fact that they left me the "premium" channels (What?). So, now every Sunday evening finds me watching The L Word.

I love it.

Mostly because I am fascinated by the complexity of women's relationships. No matter how many hateful things they do to each other, they remain in the same web of friendship. Maybe it's that untangling themselves from it would be too complicated. I don't know, the truth is I've never had trouble cutting myself out of a relationship that is past it's prime, so these women fascinate me. Then again, I also have few people that would come to my side if I were diagnosed with breast cancer (as Dana was a few weeks ago).

Anyway, and I think this show has taken heat for this, I have never seen this many beautiful lesbians in one group.

While I may live in the South, where being out isn't exactly embraced, I have had lesbian friends . . . quite a few. I've also been to more than my share of lesbian bars packed with throngs of Sapphic sisters.

Now, it's not like all the lesbian gals down here are sporting mullets, driving beat up trucks and carrying a can of Skoal in their back pocket, but they don't look like that.

What I see a lot down here are fabulous gay men (many of whom I am blessed with their friendship).

Beautiful men that work out, are coifed within an inch of their lives and KNOW how to dress.

Where have all the pretty lesbians gone?

1 comment:

Breezy said...

Where have they gone? I've come close to spotting some out here in New Orleans, but for the most part they're butch. They are as elusive as the spotted owl. (LOL, bad joke)

Not that there is anything wrong with that. I just think there is greater variety in L.A.