Sunday, April 01, 2007

Memories

I work at a bank. I don't talk about work because I am paranoid and I don't want to get "dooced."

Anyway, this isn't really about where I work now. Let's just say that I never realized that there would be this perpetual cloud of doom hanging over my employment status. It seems that banks are pretty volatile environments: need to make this year's projections? Fire 500 so management gets their big fat bonus checks. Possibility of a merger or buyout? Pray to Jesus the new owners give you at least a few weeks to find a new job.

So, that's what life has been like at my new job - FUN!

This entry though is more about a job I used to have.

I once worked for a non-profit that "seeks to educate and inspire young people to succeed in a global economy." I worked for the education team and my job title was "Editor." For the 10 months that I worked there, my job was to review participant evaluations and determine what curriculum changes needed to be made to our K-5 products.

We started at K as it needed a major overhaul.

What I didn't quite understand when I got hired was that I was going to actually have to re-write the entire curriculum: from step-by-step volunteer instruction manuals to activities and corresponding manipulatives.

I don't want to mislead anyone though.

I had a lot of input from a small review committee of educators around the country. They helped me develop a comprehensive list of learning objectives, concepts and skills that made sense for 5-6 year-olds. However, when it came time to create the corresponding activities - that was all left up to me.

The main component is a storybook with 5 short stories that introduce the economic roles of individuals - pretty heavy stuff, but I did my best to make it fun.

I keep listing this on my resume because it's one of the projects I'm most proud of. I even keep saying that it's still in use nationwide, and it turns out I'm right.

My friend C has a child in kindergarten and she came across one of the books created for this program. Incidentally, this was the first time this non-profit actually credited an author (yours truly) for the work produced. She just sent me an email asking if I was the same person listed in the book.

It's strange because with all of this instability at the bank I keep thinking about the jobs I've held in the past and which one's were my favorites.

Working at the economics-based non-profit was by far the best.

It's nice to know that what I created still holds up six years later.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi this is C. I told my son yesterday, that I know the person that wrote his book. He smiled and said "Really how neat." He found it quite exciting and thinks of you as somewhat of a celebrity. Just thought you might like to know.

Anonymous said...

And this is Mr. C. :-) I so want an autograph on that copy if we ever physically cross paths again. You rock! I have no idea why the hell you are working in a bank and wasting your talents. Live the life you want, not the life you think you have too! :-) Yeah, I'm tired from my trip. LOL

Trixie said...

Thanks B!

I suffer from fear of failure.

Besides, the bank pays the bills and keeps me in impractical shoes.