Tuesday, October 26, 2004

On the Road

Right now, I'm out of town. I'm not far away from home (maybe 1.5 hrs), but not sleeping in your own bed starts to really wear on you.

But, I'm trying to make the best of it.

I'm the Director of Education for a non-profit professional association. A large part of my job is acting as the administrator for the classes that we offer. Essentially, I travel to the classes, handout paper work and act as a proctor while the instructor bestows his/her vast knowledge on our members.

I have no complaints about our instructors or our members. The are always professional and are great at keeping classes interactive and exciting.

But, there's an awful lot of dead time for me.

So, sometimes I make sure that everything is running smoothly and I cut out.

Take yesterday for example: I'm in a different city this week until Thursday and I'm at a facility I've never been to before. It's conveniently located next to a ton of little shops, so for my lunch I popped over to a popular hot dog place. Okay, the dog was delicious. I had something called the "Junkyard Dog." It had everything on it and was filled with delicious badness.

Then, I walked over to a local bookseller and purchased some presents for a friend of mine and then I sat down with a delicious soy mocha to read the book I'd brought with me on my trip.

It was really nice to take two hours of my day for lunch, coffee and some reading. Definitely the kind of me time that I've been needing. I think maybe I even fell in love with my life a little.

Just when I think I can't do this anymore, I find a little place to carve out some "me" time.




No comments: