Friday, May 13, 2005

Sing - Sing A Song . . .

I was sitting at my desk this morning working on some articles for our quarterly publication when Pearl Jam's Daughter started playing on the radio. I reached over and cranked it up because I used to love that song.

It came out when I was a freshman in college and I remember playing it over and over in my car's tape deck during the ride between Baton Rouge and New Orleans. I'm sitting in my office feeling these feelings I felt over ten years ago and they hit me like a brick wall because it's been so long since I was silly and irresponsible. I miss those days.

I miss not having to be anywhere until noon. I miss hanging out, dancing and drinking until the bars closed. I miss the fried mushrooms from The Chimes restaurant and the hash browns from Louie's. I miss feeling like every day held a new adventure.

When it comes to music, nothing takes me back like the songs I listened to during the Summer of 1993. That was right after I graduated high school, I had my first job and I was dating a ridiculously silly guy that was two years younger than I.

I remember being in the back seat with R and making out to Tony! Toni! Tone!'s If I Had No Loot while R's best friend C drove. PM Dawn's Looking Through Patient Eyes, Duran Duran's Ordinary World, Whitney Houston I Have Nothing, Spin Doctor's Two Princes, SWV's Weak. All of this music played over and over on the musak at our job.

None of those songs are fantastic in their own right, most of them are pure crap, but when I hear them they take me back. I can close my eyes and instantly be back in R's car, leaning against the seat and feeling like his girl.

I still talk to R. He's married and has two adorable little kids. Sometimes we reminsce about our relationship and laugh and sigh. The thing is, it really wasn't the healthiest relationship. He's quite possibly the only person that's ever brought me to yelling during an argument. He liked to push my buttons because I could give it right back. We were like cats and dogs most of the time.

But, it was the easiest relationship I've ever been in because we didn't put any expectations on each other. It was just a summer thing and we were always clear about that. So, we hung out, had a good time and made each other laugh.

Sure, those songs from the summer of 1993 still make me feel all giddy and girlie, so I go with that and love the memories that they produce. It was an awesome time.

It was perfect for me at 18, but that's where I'd like to keep it.

No comments: