Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ahnalise Caedon Cabus - September 4, 2011

My cousin D was raised with my parents. His mom lived in our house as well so we were definitely a different kind of family. I was eight when he was born so for me, D was really more of a little brother than a cousin. I even remember at one point overhearing him tell a friend that I'm his big sister. I've been lucky to have a little brother.

D is 28 now and he is at least six feet tall. He's built like a linebacker and he has the heart of a Care Bear. He and his girlfriend just had a tiny little baby girl. She weighed 5 pounds and 18 ounces at birth. She's a wee munchkin.

All of the clothes bought for her are for a much larger baby. I went out this weekend and purchased some swaddling cloths, 5-8lb onesies and a princess blanket for her crib. I have to admit I'm not crazy about her name: Ahnalise. I think Anne Elise or even Analeigh would have been lovely. But, she's adorable no matter what her name.

Newborns make my heartache. I look at their sweet little faces, and I hurt for the unknown challenges they'll have to face. The bullies on the playground whose asses I want to kick. The mean girls who will make middle shool a nightmare. But mostly I want to keep her from getting her heart broken for the very first time. I want to tell her she's beautiful and perfect and that stupid boy has no idea of the big mistake he just made.

Sweet Ahnalise I hope your years are filled with sweetness and light. I hope you know what a strong woman you're going to grow up to be one day. And never forget, good girls don't make history.

Love,

Your Aunt Melissa

No comments: