Monday, September 26, 2011

The Strange History of Don't Ask, Don't Tell

If you haven't seen the documentary: The Strange History of Don't Ask, Don't Tell, then you should.

Am I a lesbian? It makes no difference.

I don't agree or disagree with issues of basic human rights based on how I'm personally affected. I look at the "issue" of gays in the military and ask myself, "Well, they are already there . . . why should they have to hide?"

They make other people uncomfortable.

I live in the deep south . . . my marriage to my white husband makes other people uncomfortable. Yes, in 2011 this still happens. I see it. It's not in my head. So, we shouldn't be allowed to be married? We should have to hide our relationship because it makes other people uncomfortable?

But that's different! How?

Because I can't help being hispanic and he can't help being white. I have a lot of gay friends, believe me they have no choice in whether or not they are gay.

What about group showers?

Now, I can't speak to the military here so I don't know how often service men and women have to shower together in a group. But, I do know that your beer belly, saggy ass having self is in no danger of being on the receiving end of an unwanted advance.

Can't they just serve quietly?

No. "They" won't keep trying to make sense of how to serve with dignity and honor while being asked to lie.

The Pentagon formally repealed its ban on gays and lesbians in uniform on Tuesday, September 20, 2011 at 12:01 a.m., allowing soldiers for the first time to reveal they are homosexual without fear of official retribution.

I regret not marking this on the date it happened.

I know one thing for sure. I don't have the courage it takes to volunteer for military service, but I'm damn thankful for our service men and women who do: straight, gay, lesbian, bi or transgender.

No comments: