Wednesday, July 14, 2004

The Magic

I met S when I was 18. At the time, I was dating someone that we worked with, R.

R and I dated quite steadily that summer, but we were never serious. There was alway this understanding between R and I that this was just a summer thing.

I would leave for college that fall and R would have a great time during his senior year. That summer, S was just another one of the guys I worked with. He showed no real interest in me and, while I thought he was cute, I showed no real interest in him. The only thing I remember clearly was S coming up to me every now and then and asking, "R?" in an incredulous tone.

I'd just roll my eyes because I got that a lot that summer.

R and I didn't seem like a good match. He was younger and a big goofy guy and I was always very reserved. But, that's part of the reason it worked out so well.

Anyway, R and I dated and I had a great summer full of great laughs, drinking and afternoons on R's boat. Then I left for school and had many more adventures with boys.

The following summer I returned to work at my job from the previous year and R and I were friends but not dating. Okay, we may have made out now and again when we were alone at work, but for the most part we were great friends.

And suddenly, S became an interesting possiblity.

I don't remember when I started to like him, but one day I realized that when he'd walk into the room it was as if the oxygen had been sucked out of it. I couldn't breathe and the most I could handle was a goofy smile. We talked a lot that summer and I flirted shamelessly.

He had this little workshop under the stairs that was away from the crowds. I'd sneak in there when I knew he was there and stand between him and the door. Just being that close to him made my pulse race and always made me fantasize about all the bad things we could do. But, he was always very reserved. He'd eventually usher me out of the room and send me back to work.

Then, one day out of the blue he comes up to me with this "extra" concert ticket. (It was one of those all day, outdoor music festivals.) He said that a friend of his had bailed on him and he wanted to know if I wanted the ticket. The concert was general admission and since I didn't know anyone going I declined and told him why. He then says,

"Well, you could go with me."

Me, "Oh. Okay, sure. How much do I owe you for the ticket?"

Him, "Don't worry about it, you can just buy me a beer when we get there."

Me, "Okay."

Now, at this point, we were firmly cemented in our roles as friends. So, I wasn't overly excited. I mean, it was a concert I was looking forward to and all, but we were just going as friends.

So, I accepted the invitation and really didn't think any more about it.

The concert day rolls around, he shows up at my parents and off we went. We spent a good part of the morning checking out vendors and just walking around when the conversation turned to dating.

I was walking around with a beer in one hand and started kidding him. I started asking about his "moves" and that I was sure he was pretty slick.

He just laughed it off and said he had no moves, but he did know a magic trick. I smiled and said, "Yeah? Let's see it!"

So, he said, "Keep that beer in one hand. Okay, now hold my beer in your other hand. Now close your eyes."

With my hands full, I closed my eyes and started saying, "This had better be goo. . . " and then next thing I knew - S WAS KISSING ME!!!

And, that's exactly what I was thinking!!!

There was a voice in my head was screaming it because even though I'd crushed hard on S, I figured we were just going to be friends.

But, there he was kissing me. And, oh, what a good kisser! It took my by surprise and when he pulled away I gasped a little.

He smiled and quietly said, "See? Magic."

No comments: