Monday, August 30, 2004

Boys

I went out on Saturday night.

I don't normally go out.

I have a tendency to get bored really easily and I've got a healthy stash of many books or movies waiting for me at home that I'd rather just stay in.

Whether or not that makes me a total loser I don't really care.

I really like my own company (on occasion I prefer it), so staying in suits me just fine.

But, this past weekend I went to see Saved and then went to a new bar in town.

A new martini bar.

I am the Appletini's bitch!

If you like sour apple Jolly Ranchers then you and the Appletini should meet.

I met a cute boy.

A really cute boy and while I wasn't interested I got the feeling he was really interested in me.

You know, sat really close to me, accidentally/on purpose brushed my arm or hand while he sat next to me.

I felt him touching me and kind of thought, "Hmm, this is interesting . . . " But, you know what was missing?

That spark.

I've had that happen before even with someone I barely know. When the accidental brush of a hand kind of takes your breath away. When the heat of their skin on your skin makes you jump.

Yeah, I need that.

Anyway, as it happens with most cute boys - he got less and less cute the longer he talked to me.

The conversation started to get tedious.

He's at that stage where he's just beginning to question some big issues (death, morality, happiness . . . ). So, of course, he thinks his opinions are compelling and fill him with the need to share his "new" thoughts with people.

I know, this smacks of condescension, but I really just don't feel like having to listen politely to this boy's ruminations.

He needs a girl his own age who thinks he's a genius for having these thoughts.

A girl who looks at him with big eyes of admiration, as if he were the smartest boy she's ever met.

He doesn't need my squinty-eyed, pursed lip look of impatience.

I need more than just a pretty face and pseudointellectual conversation.

No comments: