Tuesday, August 31, 2004

You're Still the One

There's always been something about you that just levels me.

Even when we were kids and flirting mercilessly, I'd touch you on the forearm or whatever just to touch you. I'd bite my lip and get a little breathless, but I'd just goof off with you so that you didn't know your nearness made my breath catch.

Every time you walked by I'd watch you move and wish you were moving toward me.

We had one perfect day together.

Ten years later I called you and you called me back.

And the first time I saw you all those old feelings came rushing back.

I got out of my car and there you were, standing in front of me with that smirk on your face.

That smirk that always meant trouble.

It took you two steps to stand in front of me, slide your hand up my neck and into my hair. You pulled me in for a kiss that made me weak in the knees and took my breath away.

We pulled away and I smiled and whispered, "Hey . . . "

It didn't take us long before we were both in the car.

You were good.

You started talking about how you were and you're night and what you were up to.

I heard my voice in my head saying, "You walked away from him the first time. Quit wasting time, slide over and grab him!"

So, I did.

You looked a little surprised, but then you smiled.

And the next 20 minutes were an embarrassing gropefest that I hadn't experienced since high school.

Our hands and lips went everywhere.

It was as if we were trying to consume each other.

My heart was racing.

I pulled your shirt out and slid my hands up your back.

Then, just as quickly as we'd started we stopped.

That was it.

Just 20 minutes of behaving like high school kids in the back of a car.

Before I drove off that night I put my face in my hands and I could still feel the warmth of your skin.

I took a shuddering breath and I could smell you on my hands - cedar and pine.

The next morning I thought it had all been a dream.

A really great dream.

And now, when you give me that look my breathing still hitches and when we're together you still make me feel like I'm the only woman in the world.

No comments: