Monday, September 20, 2004

Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue

I've been to a couple of weddings in my life.

The best wedding I ever went to was my friend Nose's wedding.

Nose is really laid back. So laid back that when I saw her eight months before her wedding she said to me:

"My mom really wants to have the reception at The Pavillion of Two Sisters (http://www.neworleanscitypark.com/pavillion.php) at City Park. I figure, 'Hey, since she's paying for it then whatever she wants is fine with me."

I smiled and said to Nose, "Honey, if that's your attitude then you're going to have an awesome time at your wedding."

And I meant that, Nose has never been a stressy, control freak so the fact that she was letting someone else take the reins saved her from turning into Bridezilla.

I've never seen a more beautiful bride than Nose.

She looked so beautiful and so serene.

At the reception she and D danced to Van Halen's "Dance the Night Away."

A bold choice for a first dance. But, if I know D she picked it because it was a song she and D BOTH wanted. It was sung by a live band so it was slowed down in tempo a bit and at the end, D picked her up and they both sort of spun around the dance floor.

The surprise on Nose's face was delightful. This was definitely something she wasn't expecting. After he set her down, she looked up at him, smiling and laughing.

And, when I saw the look on her face tears sprang to my eyes.

I got sad.

Sad because I knew I'd never be able to look up at my spouse with that look of wonder and amazement. With that undeniable "I'm the luckiest girl in the world" look.

I think I also got so emotional because I was so moved to see Nose so happy.

I know that brides always look radiant, but Nose was more than just radiant.

She was beaming, as if a ball of sunshine had filled her soul and she was feeling it from the very top of her head to the tips of her toes.

And so, while I've seen several brides, Nose is the first I've ever seen so happy, so relaxed, so natural.

On that day, I looked at her and realized that I want to be that happy.

That I deserve to be that happy.

We all do.

No comments: